Educational Activities Speakers Board
The committee is not yet accepting proposals for the 2014-15 year. Applications should be open by September.
The Speakers Board is a committee of three students and three faculty appointed annually to disperse grants funded by student fees. The board considers requests for funds from student organizations and departments that bring speakers or performers of educational importance to Portland State.
The Speakers Board has a budget of approximately $20,000 and average proposals typically fall in the range of $500- $2500. The most successful proposals secure financial support beyond the Speakers Board funds. No one event will be given more than $5000 per event (this would be with multiple groups). No group or department will be allocated more than $2500 per academic year.
- Proposals must be submitted 5 weeks in advance of your event.
- The Board will vote on Fridays for any proposals submitted by Wednesday at midnight. This does not include weeks that the University is closed.
- You will be notified by email on the following Monday.
- For up to $1000 grant you are expected to have at least 25 students in attendance. For more than $1000, at least 50 students
- Speakers Board will only pay for performers or speakers that add an educational component to the event
- Speakers Board will fund contracts and box office fees only. (no food, rentals, equipment, advertising)
- Event must be free and open to all students (you can charge non-students)
- Event must be on campus
- So that we can track participation, you must use the Portland State Box Office.
In addition to the questionnaire, you will need to attach:
- Resumes, a curriculum vita, press kits or materials from the presenters; descriptions of their areas of expertise and topic areas.
- An itemized budget describing all costs of the event, including honorarium, travel costs, lodging, food and advertising. The more specific you are in the written proposal, the fewer questions the Speakers Board will have and the quicker they can give you a response. Click here for a sample budget.
If your proposal is accepted:
Please include in your advertisement that your event was funded in part by the Portland State Educational Activities Speakers Board!
Please make sure to coordinate with Student Activities and Leadership Programs so that we can coordinate payment. Student organizations, work with your advisor. Departments can contact Al Yucker with payment questions: 503-725-5650.
The EASB does not have an office or a phone number. If you have any questions, you can contact the Student Activities Liaison, Aimee Shattuck at firstname.lastname@example.org, or 503.725.5649.